Fact Sheet- Frequently asked questions

Weed Biosecurity Property Inspections Hilltops Council undertakes routine private property inspections throughout the local government area to identify priority weed growth and provide assistance and information to landholders to help them comply with the Biosecurity Act 2015.
Council undertakes these inspections to assist landholders with the identification and management of prioritised plant species. Without the help from landholders Council will lose the battle against the spread of invasive weeds in the community and the environment.
Weeds are predominantly plants that occur in environments outside of their natural distribution. Priority target weeds may be agricultural (where they compromise sustainable farming) or environmental. Environmental weeds invade and threaten natural ecosystems, where they compete with native flora for space, water, nutrients and light; water weeds choke waterways. Not only do environmental weeds reduce biodiversity by out-competing the native flora, they often alter and destroy habitat for native animals, and thereby harm our unique fauna.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I be present during the inspection?
A. Yes. Not only do you have the right to be present during the inspection, wherever possible, Council encourages your attendance or that of your representative.
Q. How long will the inspection take?
A. This depends on how large the property is and how easy it is to access the property.
Q. Can I stop the inspection from taking place?
A. No, the inspection is required by law to be carried out. Council has suitably qualified staff who will conduct the inspection.
Q. What happens if I have priority weeds growing on my property?
A. After the inspection, a report, together with informative documentation and any action that may be required will be forwarded to the registered landowner/ratepayer/occupier. If required, a reinspection will be scheduled to determine whether adequate control measures have been undertaken, to meet biosecurity requirements.
Q. What if I can’t undertake the work required or need more time?
A. Council staff are available to confidentially discuss any issues you may have and are there to be of assistance in dealing with weed related matters.
Q. What if I don’t agree with the information on the report?
A. You should contact a Weeds Biosecurity Officer to discuss any concerns you have.