Select Page

Rates + Water Payment

  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Council
  4. >
  5. Rates + Water Payment


Rates Calculator here
Frequently asked questions here

Hilltops Council is currently undertaking a process of public consultation in relation to the harmonisation of Council’s rating structure. The changes to the rating structure will impact all rate payers as we move to a single rating structure across the Hilltops Local Government Area (LGA).

Following the amalgamation of NSW Councils on 12 May 2016, the NSW Government requires councils created in 2016 to develop a single rating system for their LGA by 1 July 2021. Council is seeking to create a consistent rating system that is a fairer approach for all ratepayers, regardless of dwelling or business type. Harmonisation is the final stage of the amalgamation process and involves merging the rates systems of the former Boorowa, Harden and Young Council’s into a single structure for all of Hilltops.

Council’s aim in the harmonisation of the rating system is to develop a fair and equitable structure that distributes the burden fairly across the LGA while balancing the unexpected impact of harmonisation on the majority of ratepayers.

Many ratepayers have raised concerns that the harmonisation will result in an increase to Council’s income. This is not the case, the total revenue generated by rates is capped by the State Government, for 2021-2022 the increase for Council’s total rates income is capped at 2.00%. Accordingly, the harmonisation will not generate additional revenue for Hilltops Council. The changes you will see to your rates under the harmonisation are the re-distribution of the current rate pool across the Local Government Area.

In order to determine the most equitable and least impactful structure for Hilltops rates moving forward, Council has performed modelling across a number of scenarios. Council is currently undertaking a period of public consultation. To assist you in understanding the impact of rates harmonisation on you, Council have developed a specially built calculator that will allow you to compare the rates you have paid this year against those Council is proposing under the harmonisation.

Along with the calculator, Council have developed a set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to address common questions arising from the harmonisation process.

Rates Calculator here
Frequently asked questions here 

Council invites submissions in writing to or Locked Bag 5, Young NSW 2594 by 12 noon on Friday 21 May 2021.


Commonwealth Bank BPOINT
To pay your rates or water account by using the secure web service simply click here. Please select the payment type, and then enter the account reference number. The rates account reference number is printed on the front of your Rates Notice and the water account reference number is printed on the front of your water notice. Please read the notices, have your credit card ready and follow the simple instructions.

(R) Registered to BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518

 2. BPAY ®

To pay your rates using BPAY, log onto your internet banking service and select the bill payment option. Hilltops Council’s BPAY Biller Code and account Reference Number is printed on the front of your rates notice directly below the Biller Code.
BPAY can also be used to pay your rates through the phone banking service provided by your financial institution. Follow the simple instructions.
Note: Not all financial institutions offer BPAY. For more information and a full list of banks, credit unions and building societies offering the service go to the BPAY website or check with your financial institution.


Customers may arrange for regular payments to be made via Direct Debit of Financial Institution Accounts. To use this service you must register with Council and provide some details of your nominated accounts.
A registration form may be downloaded from the Council Forms section of the website. Alternatively, you may contact Council and request a registration form. Forms can be faxed, posted or collected from Council’s Offices.


Make your cheque payable to Hilltops Council, cross “Not Negotiable” and post to:
Hilltops Council
Locked Bag 5
Young NSW 2594

A receipt will be issued and posted to you if you mark the “Receipt Required” box on the bottom section of the account/notice. Be sure to return this section of the notice with your payment.


Payment may be made in person via cash, cheque or credit card at our Boorowa, Harden and Young Offices between the hours of 8.45am-4.30pm Monday- Friday.